The original residents of St. Tammany Parish and the surrounding areas were the tribes of Colapissas, Bayou Goulas, Chickasaw, Choctaw and Pensacola. French Explorer Pierre Le Moyne d’Iberville was sent to colonize the area on behalf of the French, noting the area’s beautiful lakes and forests. St. Tammany became an official part of the United States in 1810, when President Madison claimed the territory to become part of Louisiana, sending William C. C. Claiborne to establish the boundaries of the “Florida Parishes.”
Communities grew up around Lake Pontchartrain in the 19th century, after ferry service began. It became more of a bedroom community parish with the completion of roads connecting New Orleans and other Greater New Orleans communities such as Metairie in the 1950’s. In 2008, Chevron moved its regional headquarters to the Covington area, creating employment opportunities and an economic boost.